We’ve all heard the phrase, “work-life balance”, but do you know how to actually create a positive company culture that embraces both a driven work ethic and an environment that welcomes gratitude and joy in the workplace?
Start Your Career at a Top Workplace in Tampa Bay. View Open Positions >>
According to the 2019 Staples Workplace Survey, employees have specific expectations of their workplace to keep them happy and provide a healthy integration of business and life. Let’s take a look at a few of the standout results from this survey:
- 90% of employees believe more flexible work arrangements and schedules will increase morale
- 67% of employees would consider leaving a job if their work arrangements became less flexible
- 78% of employees believe their employers have a responsibility to help them stay mentally and physically well
What does this tell us about the best interests of employees? That employees are increasingly valuing flexibility, wellness, and balance in the workplace.
Flexibility, Wellness, and Balance = Better Employees
If you’re providing employees the ability to express themselves at work, the freedom to circumnavigate anxiety about personal responsibilities, and a welcoming environment to forge relationships in the workplace, your employees will likely show:
- Reduced stress and anxiety levels: Personal and professional lives aren’t mutually exclusive. Your employees are much more likely to be more relaxed and focused while at work if they don’t have to worry about not having enough time to go to the doctor, or the dentist, or pick up their kids from day care.
- An increased trust in your company: When employees are given the flexibility to integrate their personal and professional lives, they will feel trusted in their company, which, in turn, heightens their sense of trust and confidence in their employer.
- Higher loyalty and longer tenure: Why would you leave a job that makes you happy? When employees enjoy being at work, they won’t want to leave. This means a reduced turnover rate of quality team members.
- Increased drive and higher performance during working hours: When employees have incentives, they will work harder to achieve their goals so they can enjoy opportunities for fun during non-working hours.
- Increased engagement in meaningful ways: When creativity and productiveness are rewarded, employees are much more likely to want to engage in meaningful conversations and initiatives within the company.
In all, it’s clear that having a “work hard, play hard” mentality creates happier, healthier, and more productive employees.
So now you know that a “work hard, play hard” workplace culture is what you’re aiming for, but do you know what it looks like?
Here’s where a lot of companies go wrong. They think offering a lot of fun after-hours events where employees can socialize is enough. Let’s say, for example, you have an 8-hour workday and then invite your employees to a happy hour after 5:00pm. At its core, it seems like a fun idea, but what about the employees who have after work responsibilities? What about those who don’t drink? What about pregnant employees?
Work-life balance means accounting for your employees needing time for their children and significant others, as well as respecting everyone’s individual health needs and lifestyle choices. It's fine to throw in the occasional after-hours event—but don't let that be the end-all be-all of your culture. Variety is the spice of life.
Why not try integrating fun breaks or in-office events into the workday? This way, you’ll be showing your employees that you value both their physical AND emotional wellbeing. Depending on the individual workplace, there are countless ways you can spark happiness in your company culture.
For example, at ConnectWise, we take work seriously, but ourselves? A little less so! From kitchen foosball and Star Wars Days, to glam holiday parties and near-legendary Halloween hoopla, we know how to connect for a good time. Check out some of the incentives ConnectWise employs to cultivate a positive company culture.
- Emphasis on Recognition: We incorporate a cheers system that allows employees to shout out other colleagues for a job well done, and offer incentives to those who go above and beyond.
- Passport to Success: We offer a yearly trip to a select few colleagues as an incentive for embracing teamwork, innovation, coachability, and client delight. This year, our chosen colleagues are heading to Panama City, Panama!
- Monthly Parking Spots: Imagine having a guaranteed close parking spot every day for an entire month? Another exciting incentive we offer at ConnectWise is awarding a premier parking spot.
- Regular Team Outings: Whether it’s pottery painting, bowling, or an escape room, we make sure our teams have ample time to get to know each other outside of a working capacity. When colleagues have better relationships, they make a better team!
- Culture Club: The Culture Club is an internal coalition made up of around two dozen dedicated colleagues devoted to cultivating a company culture focused on self-improvement, inclusiveness, feedback, and fun!
- Volunteer Opportunities: ConnectWise colleagues are given plenty of opportunity for philanthropic work such as joining in hurricane relief efforts, working with the Computer Mentors’ Teen Business Challenge, raising funds for Success 4 Kids & Families, and volunteering at the Orlando Day Center Nursey.
- Wellness Committee: Between events such as health fairs, running clubs, weekly yoga classes onsite, and zombie-themed walking challenges, the wellness committee provides plenty of opportunity for ConnectWise employees to get active and healthy with a huge support system.
- In-Office Celebrations: We’re a bit famous for our epic Halloween parties. The whole office dresses up, decorates, and competes in fun Halloween-themed events! We also have celebrations such as holiday white elephant exchanges, spirit weeks, Star Wars days, and more!
- Company Holiday Party: Once a year, we offer employees the ability to attend a grand holiday party. This gives employees the opportunity to dress to the nines, introduce their plus ones to their coworkers, and enjoy the holiday season in the most epic of ways. Our most recent party invited colleagues and their guests to embrace the roaring 20’s with an event themed to The Great Gatsby!
Our emphasis on a positive and welcoming company culture is what has helped be recognized as one of Tampa Bay Time’s top workplaces for nine years and counting!
You’ve imagined your dream job. Now live it.